Friday, May 11, 2012

Apps for the iPad

Today during class we got to search for iPad and iPhone apps. The resources Dr. Crawford put on the class wiki were awesome! I can see myself using the resources in the future when trying to stock my (hopefully) future iPad. I thought it was cool that we got to request the apps we liked so the CTLT would look into purchasing them. I found a few really useful apps for a lower elementary classroom. I found an app called PocketPhonics that helps students practice their phonics beginning at a very low level and working up to higher level. Another app I found that I would like to use in my classroom was ABC Magnet Alphabet. The app is pretty much like the refrigerator magnets teachers use in their classrooms. Students can use the magnets to create words and work with word patterns. I would love to use this in my classroom because it would really cut down on the amount of materials to carry around and get ready for each group lesson. One last app I found that I thought was really interesting was Whiteboard Free. This app allows you to write things on your electronic whiteboard and then share it with other viewers. This would be cool when allowing students to do independent work on their whiteboards. The students could share the work they did with the teacher in order to get evaluated.

If/when I get an iPad I will definitely go back to these websites to find some useful apps!

3 comments:

  1. They are awesome sites! I wish we would have known about them before we student taught but they will be great websites to use when we are looking for apps to put on the iPads in our future classrooms. I didn't see the app called Whiteboard Free but it sounds great! What a great way for the teacher to get immediate feedback and assignments from students. I looked at a ton of apps I thought would be neat and wrote them in my notebook, but now looking back at the name of the apps, I'm forgetting what some of them were for. One app I remember for sure what it did was the Stick Pick app. The teacher is able to draw students names from a cup right on the iPad (randomly or intentionally. Each time a student’s stick is drawn, the teacher is shown over a dozen Bloom’s Taxonomy related questions that are tied to the learner’s individual ability level. I think this would be an awesome tool for the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. They are awesome sites!! I wasn't there for that portion of the class, but I did play around on some of the websites. I have found a lot of great resources I could use for my position as a special education teacher. Now, I just hope I get an iPad to use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it gave you some time to explore. The tough task ahead of us is keeping up with all of this! There is so much to review and then, to think about how these apps can be useful in the classroom - promoting innovative uses!

    ReplyDelete