Monday, May 14, 2012

Keyboarding in the Classroom

After today's class discussion on keyboarding I started thinking about my own experience with learning how to type. I remember my parents buying a software to teach us how to type. I don't remember the name of the program but I did enjoy using it. However, when it came to choosing between typing on the computer or playing outside, the choice was easy; Outside I went! So, I didn't really learn typing at home.

During elementary school my teachers got us on the computers early on, creating PowerPoint presentations and doing other projects. What the school didn't teach us was how to properly type. I imagine those class projects probably took quite a long time for us to complete! (valuable class time wasted.)

In middle school, again, we did many projects that required typing but we still didn't have a formal class to teach us how to "properly" type. At my school we got to select our own courses in middle school and I took a lot of math and science courses so this could also be a cause not having a typing course.

It wasn't until my sophomore year in high school that I finally signed up to take a computer processing class that required us to learn how to type. By that point I had figured out my own way to type fairly quickly on a keyboard but I knew I could get my papers written much faster if I had a better method. After that semester I was SO happy I learned how to type "properly." The last two years in high school were much less painful when typing long research papers and filling out college applications.

When I look back to the way I learn how to type, I agree it could have been much more enjoyable. But I was of the age where I understood the importance of the drill-and-practice software. I didn't really care how boring it was because I knew it would help me a lot.

The same can definitely not be said for the young students who are taking keyboarding classes in schools today. As technology is hitting students at younger ages, we must start creating and using more age appropriate software. Young students don't have the same attention span as high schoolers and they don't see the importance of learning to type just yet. I hope when I start teaching, and if keyboarding is something I have to teach, that I can find a way to make learning to type a little more enjoyable. The sites we used in class could definitely be a start!

2 comments:

  1. Nicole,
    That is very interesting that you didn't have any formal typing classes until high school! I remember where I went to school we used to do all sorts of projects in elementary and middle school without having a typing class. In 8th grade is when I had my formal typing class and we used Mavis Beacon. It was not the most fun thing to do, but like you, I am glad I learned how to type because college would have not gone as smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is odd when you were younger the school had you using technology, but did not instruct you how to type first. You think that would come first! When I was in elementary school, I do not remember doing anything with technology. My parents bought me a typing program as well and really enjoyed using it! I would have been the same way though, if it was nice outside, I would not be inside typing on the computer. Except maybe to play the Sims. =)

    The sites we played around with today would be a good place to start with students if a typing program is not already in place at the school. I definitely do not want to implement any program that would simply bore kids to death. In my first student teaching placement, the students had one hour a week in the computer lab, and the ENTIRE time was spent keyboarding. Fifteen minutes in and the students were already complaining saying they were bored, and I thought the games looked fun! By the end of the school year, 3rd graders are supposed to be at level 7, and some students were still at level 1. =S Hopefully they have caught up by now!

    ReplyDelete